Age: 39 Marital status: Single
n Ph. D. (2) 2002-2005. (Quitted at thesis stage) / Middle East Technical University, Department of Philosophy.
n Ph. D. (1) 2000-2005 / Middle East Technical University, Department of Psychological Counseling and Guidance.
n MA 1997-2000 / University of Ankara, Department of Psychological Counseling and Guidance. Ankara / Turkey
n Undergraduate 1992-1996 University of Ankara, Department of Psychological Counseling and Guidance.
n September 2006 Present: Assistant Professor. Izmir University of Economics, Department of Psychology, Izmir, Turkey.
n March-September 2006: Postdoctoral Fellowhship (TUBITAK). University of Rochester, Department of Clinical and Social Psychology, Rochester, NY.
n 19972005: Research Assistantship / University of Ankara, Department of Psychological Counseling and Guidance. Ankara / Turkey.
· Psychology :
Therapeutic factors in helping relationship, language and therapeutic factors, subjective well-being, uniqueness.
· Research and Statistics :
- Basic and advanced statistical procedures with SPSS and Statistica.
- Psychometry : Test development procedures and the related statistical analyses (Exploratory Factor Analysis, Confirmatory Factor Analysis, Reliability procedures).
- Structural Equation Modeling with LISREL.
· Philosophy :
Philosophy of Language, Later Wittgenstein, Language and Mental States, Qualia, Self-Knowledge.
· Family Therapy (50 hours) / Hürol Fışıloğlu / Middle East Technical University, Continuous Education Center / Ankara /Turkey
· Gestalt Therapy (42 hours) / Gestalt Therapy Association, Ceylan Daş/Gestalt Therapy Association / Ankara / Turkey
· LISREL Advanced Workshop (24 hours)/7-9 September 2006 / K. Jöreskog & K. Bollen / Chicago / USA
Paths from Fear of Death to Subjective Well-Being: A Study of Structural Equation Modeling Based on the Terror Management Theory Perspective.
Şimşek, Ö. F. (2007). Yapısal Eşitlik Modellemesine Giriş: Temel İlkeler ve LISREL Uygulamaları (Introduction to Structural Equation Modeling: Basic Principles and LISREL Applications). Ekinoks.
Articles (Indexed in SSCI)
1. Şimşek, Ö. F., Kuzucu, Y. (in pres) The Gap which Makes Us Desperate: Paths from Language to Mental Health. International Journal of Psychology.
2. Şimşek, Ö. F., Intentional Model of Subjective Well-Being (in press) Measurement and Convergent, Divergent, and Incremental Validity Study. Journal of Happiness Studies. DOI 10.1007/s10902-010-9203-0.
3. Şimşek, Ö. F., Günlü, E., Erkuş, A. (in press) Occupation as a Personal Project System: Application of the Ontological Well-Being Concept to Workplace. Journal of Happiness Studies.
4. Şimşek, Ö. F., Bozanoğlu, İ. (2011) From Self-Esteem to Mental Health: Empathy as Mediator. Eurasian Journal of Educational Research, 42, 225-242.
5. Şimşek, Ö. F., Yalınçetin, B*. (2010) I Feel Unique, Therefore I Am: The Development and Preliminary Validation of the Personal Sense of Uniqueness (PSU) Scale. Personality and Individual Differences, 49: 576-581.
6. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2010). Language and the Inner: Development of the Beliefs about Functions of Language (BAFL) Scale. European Psychologist, 15(1): 68-79.
7. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2009). Happiness Revisited: Ontological Well-Being as a Theory-Based Construct of Subjective Well-Being. Journal of Happiness Studies, 10: 505-522.
8. Kloep, M., Güney N., Çok F., Şimşek Ö. F. (2009). Motives for Risk-Taking in Adolescence: Development of a Cross-Cultural Assessment Scale. Journal of Adolescence, 32: 135-151.
9. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2006). Öznel İyi Oluş Hali Kavramsal Yapısının Doğrulayıcı Faktör Analiziyle Test Edilmesi. (Testing construct validity of subjective well-being using structural equation modeling) Eğitim Araştırmaları ve Uygulama Dergisi, 5(9): 55-72.
10. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2005). Constructivism, Cultural Issues and the Problem of Uniqueness. Malatya Üniversitesi Eğitim Fakültesi Dergisi, 6(9): 99-114.
11. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2005). Ölüme İlişkin Algıların Farklı Bir Yolla Ölçülmesi: Ölüm Metaforları Ölçeğinin Geliştirilmesi (Measuring attitudes towards death using a different method: Development of the Death Metaphors Scale), 3P Psikiyatri, Psikoloji, Psikofarmakoloji Dergisi, 13(4): 275-280.
12. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2004). Bir Grup Rehberliği Programının Öğretmenlerin Disiplin Anlayışına Etkisi (The effect of a group guidance programme on teachers opinions about discipline) . Ankara Üniversitesi Eğitim Bilimleri Fakültesi Dergisi, , 37 (2): 41-59.
* Undergraduate Student
1. Şimşek, Ö. F., Kocayörük, E. A Multi-Dimensional Measure of Ontological Well-Being: Development and Initial Validity of the Life Project Scale (Under Editorial Evalution: Journal of Personality Assessment- SSCI).
2. Şimşek, Ö. F. The Relationship between Collective vs. Private Self-Esteem and Subjective Well-Being: Attachment as Moderator. (Under Editorial Evaluation: Social Indicators Research- SSCI).
3. Şimşek, Ö. F. Self-Absorption Paradox is not a Paradox: Illuminating the Dark Side of Self-Consciousness (Under editorial evaluation: Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice- SSCI).
1. Şimşek, Ö. F. The Need for and Sense of Uniqueness: Different Contexts and Different Meanings.
2. Şimşek, Ö. F., Özdemir, Y. Development of the Parental support for childrens sense of uniqueness (PSCSU) scale.
3. Şimşek, Ö. F., Demir, M., Self-Determination and Happiness: Cultural Differences in the Mediatory Function of Sense of Uniqueness.
4. Şimşek, Ö. F., Taysi, E. Uniqueness and Terror Management Theory: Sense of uniqueness is an anxiety buffer mechanism.
5. Demir, M., Şimşek, Ö. F. The Mediator Role of Sense of Uniqueness in the Relationship between Friendship Quality and Happiness.
6. Şimşek, Ö. F. & Demir, M. Basic Psychological Need Satisfaction and Happiness: The Mediatory Function of Uniqueness.
7. Kuzucu, Y., Şimşek, Ö. F. Basic Psychological Needs and Agression: The Mediator Roles of Career Indecision and Life Goals.
8. Şimşek, Ö. F., Kuzucu, Y. Intentional Paradigm and Subjective Emotional Well-Being: Does Intentionality Really Matter?
9. Sevim, S. A., Şimşek, Ö. F. Turkish Adaptation of the Gross Anatomy of Parenting Styles Questionnaire.
10. Atak, H., Şimşek, Ö. F., Kocayörük, E. Age and Ontological Well-Being: Past, Present and Future Mean Different Things for Different Age Groups.
11. Koydemir, S., Şimşek, Ö. F. Cross-Cultural Study of Personality & Happiness.
12. Şimşek, Ö. F. Self-Absorption Paradox and the Need for Truth: Is Self-Consciousness Positively Related to Mental Health?
1. Kocayörük, E; Şimşek, Ö. F. (2009). Ergenlerde Ana-Baba Bağlanması ile İyi Oluş İlişkisinde Benlik Saygısının Aracılık Etkisi (The mediator role of self-esteem in the relationship between parental attachment and subjective well-being in adolescents), the First International Congress of Educational Research, Çanakkale Onsekiz Mart University, May 1-3, Çanakkale, Turkey.
2. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2008). An Intentional Model of Emotional Well-being: Development and Initial Validation of a Measure of Subjective Well-Being.. XXIX International Congress of Psychology, July 20-25, Berlin, Germany.
3. Şimşek, Ö. F. (2007). Dil ve İç Dünyamız: Dili Deneyimleme Ölçeğinin Geliştirilmesi, (Language and the Inner: Development of the Experiencing Language Scale). Nineth National Psychological Counseling and Guidance Congress, October 17-19, İzmir, Turkey.
· Research Projects:
- Principal Investigator: Yeni Bir Pozitif Ruh Sağlığı Değişkenine Doğru: Ontolojik İyi-Oluş Halinin Ölçülmesi, Kültürlerarası Geçerliğinin Test Edilmesi ve Psikometrik Üstünlüklerinin Belirlenmesi (Towards a new positive mental health variable: Measurement and cross-cultural validity of ontological well-being. TÜBİTAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Counsil of Turkey) (February 2009-January 2011). Project Number: 108K394 Funded: 93.162 TL.
- Journal of Clinical Psychology (SSCI)
- Education & Science (SSCI)
- British Journal of Guidance and Counseling (SSCI)
- Personality and Individual Differences (SSCI)
- Eurosian Journal of Educational Research (SSCI)
- Malatya University Journal of Educational Sciences.
- TUBITAK (The Scientific and Technological Research Counsil of Turkey)/ 2009-1-PSYCHOLOGY-2.
- Anatolia: Journal of Tourizm Research
- Malatya University Journal of Educational Sciences.
· Trainer: Structural Equation Modeling with LISREL:
- Marmara University, Department of Education, Istanbul
- Anadolu University, Faculty of Business Administration
- 6th Research Methods Seminar-Anatolia Journal, Alanya
- Malatya University, Faculty of Education
- Izmir University of Economics
- Istanbul University, Department of Psychology
- Yeditepe University
- Maltepe University, Faculty of Education
- Ankara University, Faculty of Education
- Dokuz Eylül University, Faculty of Education
- Kültür University, Faculty of Management
- Bahçeşehir University
- Pamukkale University
- Ankara University, Department of Psychology
· Principles and Techniques of Psychological Counseling
· Applied Psychological Counseling
· Philosophical Foundations of Psychology
· Language and Experience
· Introduction to Psychological Counseling and Guidance
· Research Methods in Psychology
· Research Methods in Social Sciences
· Introduction to Psychology
· Conducting and Reporting a Research Project in Psychology